Re: Potato packages?

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 11:16:44AM +0200, Martin Quinson wrote:
> (the package, not the contained program, which is quite stable)

stable??  Hahaha!!

(For those of you wondering whether to try out Openoffice.org - yes it is
stable actually - but there be dragons getting it going for the first time.
See the font troubleshooting FAQ for successful dragon hunting. [1])

> I guess noone
> will try to build it on testing or stable.

On stable (Potato):  We need many packages from testing/unstable to build
openoffice: bison, gcc-3.0, debhelper.  Precompiled versions from
openoffice.org do not have this problem because they include copies of all
need libraries in the tarball, so I would recommend that for now.  We don't
have enough resources to maintain .deb packages for Potato, unless someone
steps forward to volunteer.

On testing (Woody):  At the moment there is one library that the package
depends on that is not available in Woody.  This is because I am tracking
gcc in unstable because the powerpc port needs gcc3.1, which is not in
Woody.  For people who are using Woody, it is very easy to install the
library libgcc1 from sid, using wget and dpkg -i.  I currently don't have a
spare 8GB to create a seperate Woody system and build openoffice from
scratch on it, and I would also rather spend time improving the packages
first.

Chris

[1] http://www.openoffice.org/files/documents/16/63/FontTroubleshooting-v2.pdf