Re: package name

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 02:48:42PM -0400, Thomas Hood wrote:
>    [...] It is desirable to keep dots out of package
>    names because it is desirable to name configuration files
>    after packages,

I'm not sure that /etc/oo or /etc/ooo is obviously openoffice, even if
people are aware of the abbreviation.

> and it is desirable to be able to exclude
>    backup files from certain operations by excluding all files
>    whose names contain a dot.

Are there any .debs that do that?  I thought that mostly they explicitly
only exclude certain suffixes such as ~ or .dpkg-old.  run-parts doesn't
like names with dots in, I know, but that is for files, not the directory.

> 2. It's much shorter.  "openoffice.org" is long, and once the
>    megapackage is split up the subpackages will have even longer
>    names.

That is probably worth considering.  I guess we could use a shorter prefix
such as ooo for subpackages anyway.

> 3. It's coool.  The 'oo' or 'ooo' abbreviation is widely used
>    on this list and elsewhere.

> This is a major package ... the abbreviation will become well known.
> How did you know that 'gnupg' stands for 'GNU privacy guard'?
> How did you know that 'gs' stands for 'ghostscript'?

Because I'd heard people talking about those packages, mostly on development
lists.  New users installing OOo for the first time will not necessary think
to look for a package with that name - they'll more likely be looking for
something with 'office' in the name.

> I think 'ooo' is a good name, but I'll understand if your
> taste or opinions differ.

I think it's maybe not a bad idea to use this as a prefix for subpackages.

Thanks, Thomas, for your ideas!

Chris Halls | Frankfurt, Germany