Re: package name

> On Sun, Apr 21, 2002 at 09:53:34PM -0400, Thomas Hood wrote:
> > How about calling the package "ooo" instead of "openoffice.org"?
>
> Why?!  What advange does this have?

1. In order not to create the first Debian package name that
   contains a dot in its name that isn't part of a version
   number.  It is desirable to keep dots out of package
   names because it is desirable to name configuration files
   after packages, and it is desirable to be able to exclude
   backup files from certain operations by excluding all files
   whose names contain a dot.
2. It's much shorter.  "openoffice.org" is long, and once the
   megapackage is split up the subpackages will have even longer
   names.
3. It's coool.  The 'oo' or 'ooo' abbreviation is widely used
   on this list and elsewhere.

> Only people 'in the know' will know what you're
> talking about.

This is a major package ... the abbreviation will become well known.
How did you know that 'gnupg' stands for 'GNU privacy guard'?
How did you know that 'gs' stands for 'ghostscript'?

I think 'ooo' is a good name, but I'll understand if your
taste or opinions differ.

--
Thomas Hood