oo crashes after start up

hi,
just installed the debs on to sid they installed fine but it just
crashes after running it.:(

I get some window asking about importing addresses  (address data source
auto pilot) clicking on any button but next cases a crash. If I click
next I get to select between address books clicking anything on this
window causes a crash

The only out put I get is

/usr/bin/openoffice: line 26: 14882 Aborted ~/.openoffice/soffice
oh and the first time I run it I get a whole load of errors about
copying stuff into a .kde2 dir which seem unimportant.

any ideas?
Or any info you need?
This is running on 2.4.17, X4.1.0, on a K62 400

btw oo is using a truly awful font

oh and I'm not on this list so could you please cc any replies to me
thanks.
--

rob