Re: [dev] Re: Some Issues regarding Debian versus OOo versions and Support?

Hi, Kevin!

"Kevin B. Hendricks" <kevin.hendricks@sympatico.ca> writes:

> Hi Peter and Jan,
>
> I just got done reading the debian guidelines and policies on java and for
> developers (thanks for those links) and I still don't see the problem here.
>
> The OOo source code (even Java code) is open and free and meets the LGPl.
>
> You own Java policy says if the software can be compiled with a free
> compiler (and lists Jikes and guavac specifically as an example of that)
> it is okay, so you should be able to use that to do the compiles for the
> class files.
>
> What am I missing here?

1). If program depends (or build-depends) on non-free software it
  sucks and cannot get in to main part of debian.
2). OpenOffice's java code needs to be compiled with non-free java
  classes, because AFAIR, it cannot be compiled with any free (in
  sense of speech) compiler and classes.
3). We want OpenOffice to get into main.
        \/
4). We need to remove java from oo.

Same with gpc.

All words ``free'' that were used in this letters were mentioned in
sense of free speech, not free beer (refer to http://fsf.org/).

Thanks,
--
Nidd.