Re: Office Applications

on Fri, Apr 05, 2002, arief muLya (arief@bna.telkomsel.co.id) wrote:
> Dear Karsten,
>

> Thanks for your help.
>

> >   $ apt-get update
> >   $ apt-get install abiword gnumeric
> >

> Well, Ofcourse.
> But can you tell me your apt sources was?

uunstable:

    # See sources.list(5) for more information, especialy
    # Remember that you can only use http, ftp or file URIs
    # CDROMs are managed through the apt-cdrom tool.

    # ...tracking unstable...bleed, baby, bleed (Sid).
    deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free

    deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free
    deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security potato updates/main updates/contrib updates/non-free

> >If you're on 'stable', you're likely working with old versions of both
> >apps.   The versions in Woody and Sid are quite up-to-date, and are
> >largely compatible with other formats, including MS Word and MS Excel,
> >respectively.
> >

> I use potato (2.2.r4?) with abiword release 0.7.7 and gnumeric release
> 0.47.
> You mean on woody releases there's new version of these two?

Quite.

Potato's suitable for servers.  Woody tends to be pretty damned stable
these days, and is what I'd use for a workstation.  If you're not
satisfied with the recency of potato's packages, switch on up.  Realize
that things break periodically, but IMO it's worth that small pain.

> I've went to debian-ftp site yesterday, try to search the .debs for
> gnumeric and abiword, but I can't find them. I'll try again today.

Your best source for debs is...debian.  And your best source for current
debs is a current release.  Hence testing or unstable.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>           http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
   The Consumer Broadband and Digital Television Promotion Act: