Re: Perhaps stupid request

Hi ..

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 08:36:05AM +0100, mh@openoffice.org wrote:
>> I in doubt, that some people at Sun unstand the hole buildsystem for
>> OpenOffice.
>he, he. I think there are some people at Sun who understand what there are
>doing ;). Where do you see the one large build script in the OpenOffice.org
>tree. Building is done by makefiles one per directory. pretty conservative.
>ok, traveling with dependencies has it's own tool, build.pl to avoid the
>usual problems with recursive makefiles.

yes .. off course and the bootstrap process might be use full to .. but
it is nessasay to include all the needed libs into the OpenOffice
Source?
Why not using them from the OS?

>> There aren't BIG problems, but a lot of few ones. The most a related to
>> the bisonproblem, that bison 1.33 is to new for the OpenOffice build. :(
>I think the bison problems will be fixed in the OOO_STABLE_1 branch, we
>will test with bison 1.28 - 1.33.

fine.

>> >Someone should investigate which of them are still used, and how they
>> >are patched. I think expat is still used for the whole file formats
>> >and the patches seem the change the types used by the lib. (Or maybe
>> >only adding some with names compatbile to sal). It would be very
>> >usefull, if someone would go there and look how the libraries within
>> >Debian can be used, so that we need not ship these libs two times.)
>> I would say, the most of them are build in the bootstrap-prozess. So it
>> should be possible to get rid off the bootprozess and build OpenOffice
>> directly.
>if you take a look onto the last builds, you will see that most of them
>are not builded anymore. Our goal is to only to have dmake , stlport and the
>soltools module in the bootstrap process. all the other tools  are in the
>meantime perlscripts, so that there is no need anymore to have that large
>bootstrap process as we had it in 638.

Thats good to read. I will upload my buildlog (the latest), so we can
examine the bootstrap ...

	Best regards

		Jan
--
One time, you all will be emulated by linux!

----
Jan- Hendrik Palic
Url:"http://www.billgotchy.de";
E-Mail: "palic@billgotchy.de"