Re: Ignoring top-level files [was: Re: Rename master branch to main]

* Sébastien Villemot <sebastien@debian.org> [2021-08-07 13:44]:

Le samedi 07 août 2021 à 12:45 +0200, Rafael Laboissière a écrit :
* Sébastien Villemot <sebastien@debian.org> [2021-08-07 12:09]:

Having restored the .gitignore of octave, I realize that it excludes only files that are under debian/ (with the exception of backup files *~, which could arguably also be changed to debian/*~). So this particular .gitignore file could actually be moved to debian/.gitignore, and we would no longer need merge-mode=merge.

So do we really want to ignore files in the top-level directory?

I think that ignoring files in the top-level directory is just a convenience for avoiding spurious warning and error messages in "gbp pull" and "git status" in a post-build package directory. This can be avoided by running :

    ./debian/rules clean ; quilt pop -af

After this, if there are are still files left outside the debian/ directory, then they should be included in debian/clean.

We could enforce this discipline. In this case, we can move the top-level .gitignore into debian/.gitignore, remove the lines related to the upstream files, and also do not add the merge-mode=merge line in debian/gbp.conf.

What do you think?

I very much prefer this solution, and my impression is that is how gbp- buildpackage is supposed to be used.

So if this is acceptable to you and does not disturb your workflow, we should adopt this.

Ok, I will implement the changes in our repos, after the DEP-14 migration is finished (probably over this weekend). I will not add the merge-mode=merge line to the debian/gbp.conf files.

I will later update the information at our Wiki page [*], accordingly.

Rafael

[*] https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianOctaveGroup#Git_repositories