Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] HDF5 transition is finished

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 07:26:22PM +0100, Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:
> Sébastien Villemot wrote, on 02/23/12 18:52:
> > Rafael Laboissiere <rafael@laboissiere.net> writes:
> >
> >> This morning, after an upgrade of my Debian testing system, I got
> >> octave3.2_3.2.4-12+b1 installed.  I assume that the HDF5 transition is
> >> over, at least as regards Octave.
> >
> > Yes, the whole transition is over, so the sky is now clear for an upload of
> > octave 3.4 to unstable. I guess Thomas will do that when he gets the time.
> >
> <snip>
>
> It seems still not possible to use the package "libhdf5-openmpi-dev" instead
> of "libhdf5-serial-dev" together with octave 3.2 (please see my previous
> e-mail
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-octave-devel/2012-February/008326.html
> ). With version 1.8.4 of "libhdf5-openmpi-dev" it worked.

Yes, and that's (probably) intentional.
http://bugs.debian.org/601511

Octave uses the serial version of hdf5 now. We used to have every hdf5
library as alternatives, but this didn't work out:
http://bugs.debian.org/598227
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-grass-devel/2010-October/008042.html

Octvave's usage of hdf5 is pretty small - for that, the serial version
surely suffices.

	Thomas