Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] Abandoning statdataml and releated packages

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> On 29 September 2005 at 10:54, Rafael Laboissiere wrote:
> | 1) Both r-cran-statdataml and r-cran-xml have been made available by the
> |    Debian BioCondutor Group (http://pkg-bioc.alioth.debian.org/).  BTW,
> |    the versions present in their apt-getable repository
> |    (http://public.pzr.uni-rostock.de/~moeller/mirror/) are more recent
> |    than those packaged by me.
>
> That archive is really not public as the Debian BioConductor Group [ old
> name, now it is really 'Debian group trying to build infrastructure to
> package all of CRAN and BioConductor inside or outside Debian' ] never made a
> release or announcement. We're simply not ready.
>
> For R, if it isn't packaged, just recommended install.packages() (as root,
> and mention that need for appropriate -dev packages).
>
> | Under all this circumstances, I am strongly inclined to abandon the
> | StatDataML packages in Debian.  I may just orphan them or simply file a
> | bug report against ftp.debian.org requesting their exclusion from the
> | archive.  I would do the same with r-cran-xml and point the users to the
> | Debian-BioC archive.
>
> You can start by orphaning them. I've found that removal bug reports often
> "just sit there" for ages.

Dirk,

'Tis good to know that you are alive and well... I was starting to wonder what
became of you!

Are there any negative consequences for the DOG that are associated with
orphaning the packages in question? If so, what are they?

Regards,
JA