Re: OCaml transition plans

Le 08/05/2013 12:47, Stéphane Glondu a écrit :
> During the freeze, a new major version of OCaml has been released. The
> current version is 4.00.1 (already in experimental, the one in sid is
> 3.12.1). It breaks some packages, and many of those have been fixed
> upstream meanwhile. It seems that most of the times, fixes are
> backward-compatible.
>
> Therefore, I propose that we update all other OCaml-related packages
> first (not the compiler itself). At least, those that still compile with
> the old version. This means many small transitions.
>
> Once this is done (I expect this will take several months), I hope a
> painless transition for OCaml itself. And by "done", I mean everything
> is reasonnably up-to-date in *testing*.

Now, there are still many packages that are not up-to-date, and others
that are stuck in unstable because they break other packages that cannot
be updated because of OCaml. Sorting these situations out is
time-consuming and meanwhile, we are getting more and more late w.r.t.
the rest of the OCaml community.

Therefore, I will no longer bother to check if updates are possible
using only OCaml 3.12.1 and I will always upload to experimental, and
build against OCaml 4.00.1. Note that it also means sourceful uploads of
packages that would normally be binNMUed.

Once enough packages are updated in experimental, I will ask the Release
Team about uploading everything to unstable.

Stéphane