Debian policy regarding debian/ upstream directory

Hello Stéphane,

2012/1/26 Stéphane Glondu <glondu@debian.org>:
> Moreover, I saw that the debian/ repository is also part of the upstream
> tarball. Keep in mind that it is completely ignored by Debian tools with
> the 3.0 (quilt) format (only the one from .debian.tar.gz is taken into
> account), which is a good thing. The rationale is that the upstream
> Debian packaging is (conceptually) not the same as the one officially in
> Debian (or in another dpkg-based distribution), each might evolve
> differently and comparing both might not even make sense.

Is this because, for example, both Ubuntu and Debian are using this
debian/ repository? As a programmer, it seems to me counter-productive
to keep package relative information in several places instead of
putting them in only on place, in the upstream tarball. In upstream,
several packagers (Fedora, Debian, ...) can copy best practices *for
this package*, instead of reinventing the wheel (I'm thinking at init
script for example).

Best regards,
david