Re: debian and ubuntu (was: overhaul of the debian ocaml policy)

Hello,

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 08:16:13AM +0200, David MENTRE wrote:

> >  He rather should complain to his distro when they
> > are just copying our stuff and then, on top of it, get it wrong (as I
> > deduce from the fact that he could not rebuild his package).
>
> There are no OCaml developers in Ubuntu. The bug report would come
> back to Debian. And Ubuntu people are hardly ever patching Debian
> OCaml packages (https://bentobako.org/ubuntu-ocaml-status/raw/ubuntu-patches.html).

My mail was based on the assumption that the problem report (failed to
recompile the package) occured on an ubuntu machine, but was not
reproducible on a debian machine. This may be a wrong assumption.

If a problem report applies to debian then we should of course take
care of it, no matter from who the report comes. On the other hand,
if the problem turns out to be specific to a distribution that is
not debian then I do not think that we are obliged to care about it.

-Ralf.