Re: overhaul of the debian ocaml policy

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 01:30:25AM +0200, Florent Monnier wrote:
> Le dimanche 22 août 2010 01:12:58, Sylvain Le Gall a écrit :
> [...]
> > > For example if we use:
> > > origin="packaging::Debian"
> > > origin="packaging::Mandriva"
> > >
> > > then one can get the list of the added META with this single command:
> > > $ grep -l packaging `ocamlc -where`/*/META
> > >
> > > But if we use:
> > > origin="Debian"
> > > origin="Mandriva"
> > > then the user has to know which distro he's using first, before to grep
> > > it as a keyword.
> > > and in this example you can't use "origin" as a keyword too, because you
> > > can't prevent an upstream to use an "origin" field too, for example:
> > > origin="janest"
> > > OK one can grep "origin" to display its content, but not *filter* the
> > > META files that come from packagers.
> > >
> > > I hope what I mean is clearer now, is it?
> >
> > Yes it is.
> >
> > I propose something like:
> >
> > origin = "debian-packagers"
> >
> > or
> >
> > createdby = "debian-packagers"
>
> I find the string "debian-packagers" fine!

The problem is that these strings should be removed once upstream
incorporates the META file, which should be the ultimate goal. A string
like "origin" is easily mistaken for "original author", and the risk
is that people will leave them in in order to give credits.

For that reason, I'll rather propose something like "meta-not-yet-upstream".
This way it is clear when it has to be removed.

-Ralf.