the new "ocaml" section

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 09:03:24AM +0000, Debian Installer wrote:
> There are disparities between your recently accepted upload and the
> override file for the following file(s):
>
> libres-ocaml-dev_3.1.1-2_amd64.deb: package says section is libdevel, override says ocaml.

As first discussed [1] and then announced [2] the sections of the
Debian archive have been reviewed, also introducing the new "ocaml"
section. The idea is to put binary packages in that section only when
they are related to ocaml development, including libraries of all
kinds (runtime or not). That, at least, is what is implemented by the
naming convention I've pointed the ftpmasters to.

Ralf already wrote (thanks!) the appropriate section of our policy.

What I propose is to, once the current transition is finished, to
batchly change the Section of all the relevant packages to "ocaml"
with a script to be run on our repositories. Any objection?

I remind you all that it is *not* appropriate to do an upload only to
fix the section, because the archive maintenance software is already
capable of moving packages around from section to section without
needing an upload.

Cheers

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2009/02/msg00856.html
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2009/03/msg00010.html