Re: dom-switch-opt violates policy and is too dangerous (for users) anyhow

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 10:49:56PM +0000, Sylvain Le Gall wrote:
> This is just a commit of my own script (probably like yours) inside
> dh-ocaml. It is a good way to test package build and hence a must have

Yes. The problem is that with your original commit the script got
shipped in the dh-ocaml package under /usr/bin. That way ... users
will end up using it, and that was what worried me. I see that it is
fixed now, thanks.

> I 100% agree that it should not be installed, but with your permission I
> will just move it to "noinstall" directory inside dh-ocaml. This way you
> can only get the script by a "git checkout" of dh-ocaml and a link,
> which is easy for pkg-ocaml-maint. The script will not be distributed.

Just a few (concluding) comments.

* Given that it is not going to be shipped in the .deb, what benefit
  it has to have it in the dh-ocaml source package? Can't it just be
  committed somewhere in some repository of ours and be used from
  there?

* I still thinks the current implementation is not the good one. It
  can break in horrible ways in scenarios like the following:

    # dom-switch-opt
    ... big delay, you forgot about the switch ...
    # apt-get upgrade ocaml   # or even remove/purge
    ... you discover that you forgot the switch ...
    # dom-switch-opt

  I suggest to implement the switch on top of dpkg-divert, that way
  dpkg (at least) will be informed about that.