Debian & Ubuntu [was: roadmap to OCaml >> 3.11 in Lenny+1]

Hello Stefano,

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 10:47, Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> wrote:
> Let me suggest one: if you find reasonable changes Ubuntu side which
> need to be integrated in Debian, submit a bugreport to the relevant
> Debian package, pointing to the Ubuntu change.

I'll try to do that.

> This is an interesting aspect. Would you care about letting us know,
> via this list, when those synchronization window happen in the future?

Yes, I'll let you know.

> Of course we cannot grant good conditions during them, but if it costs
> us nothing (or few efforts) it would be interesting to try be in shape
> during those windows.

Nice!

> "Political" answer: I disagree with your statement that Debian
> developers don't care about Ubuntu. I do care, because I know it is a
> way to bring Debian efforts to a wider public; it is the same with all
> Debian derivatives, and especially with Ubuntu which is most
> widespread derivative.

Excellent!

> Still, the game should be fair, I'm willing to
> do the job Debian-side, but I need collaboration Ubuntu-side, and you
> are helping with that.

At least I'll try. ;-)

>> I'll try to make an inventory of Ubuntu patches on OCaml Debian
>> packages.
>
> Thanks! Please try, if possible, not to do that one shot, but to find
> a work-flow which is sustainable in the future. I doubt it can be
> automated, but you can build tools that help you in keeping us up to
> date on a regular basis.

Yep. You're probably right. But I'll try to start modestly: keep an
eye on Ubuntu packages vs. Debian ones. I'll keep in mind the patches
aspect though.

Yours,
d.