Re: omake failures (#510919)

Hey,

please CC me, I'm not subscribed :)

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 23:21:22 +0200 George Danchev wrote:

> 1. apply the above mentioned patch against ocamldep as brought with ocaml-nox
> package. That would be pretty dangerous, since ocaml-nox rdeps are exposed at
> risk. Unlikely to be approved by the release team.

I bet it wont be approved, but building another binary out of the
ocaml-nox source with the patch applied should work?
So ocaml-nox will have ocamldep (the original) and ocamldep-omake (the
patched). Or one could push the latter into a separate package built
from the same source, would have to go through NEW then, but sounds
more RM compatible than changing ocamldep directly.

> 2. prepare a separate source package to carry out that special version of
> ocamldep (possibly called ocamldep-omake) in order to avoid messing up with
> ocaml-nox package, and make it build-dependency of omake. Possilbe drawbacks:
> new package, unlikely to be approved by release team at that point.
>
> 3. extend the source package of omake in order to embed the sources of such a
> special ocamldep-omake and invoke it right along during the omake build.
> Drawbacks: embeded source copies, security risk.

The separate source package would also have an embedded copy, same bad
IMHO.

> 4. completely remove that broken package from the archive, no build-repends
> are found, no harm done. This is my favourity one.

Well, omake is in Etch, and I dont like the idea to drop such a package.
Additionally people could be using it localy, you newer know.

> While I believe that 2nd. and 3rd. would have been possible (ugly, but
> possible) courses of action before the freeze (provided these blatant
> failures would have not been ignored lightly), I don't believe that release
> team would approve them at that stage of the release. Obviosuly 1st. is
> pretty dangerous, thus we will be better served with 4th.
>
> Comments ?

I'd go for 1.5, ocaml-nox builds a new ocamldep-omake binary.
But YMMV as usual :)

Regards
Evgeni

--
Bruce Schneier Fact Number 955:
Bruce Schneier does not get kidney stones. He gets Rosetta Stones.