Re: browsing ocamldoc generated documentation

On Mon, Sep 03, 2007 at 10:00:25AM -0400, Eric Cooper wrote:
> Agreed. I see two drawbacks:
>
> - Not all our docs are for APIs -- it would be nice to include all the ocaml
>   tool documentation also

Uhm ... I think we have diverging objectives then.

1) my point was to have an index of all the API references generated by
ocamldoc we have. This would permit to browse homogeneous documentation
from a single central point, and to access all the "possibilities" an
OCaml programmer on a given Debian machine has.

2) this is not the same as browsing all the OCaml-related documentation
available on a given machine. For example, I don't want to see the
"ocamlfind" (intending the command line tool) reference manual in the
list above, while I do want to see the ocamldoc generated ocamlfind
documentation (which documents the "Findlib" OCaml module).

Sure once we have a tool which relies on some convention we can even
implement (2), but I was proposing (1).

> - I don't run one a local web server on my workstation, which this
>   requires.

Yep, fully ack. Unfortunately I didn't manage to find a way to have an
always up to date index of the documentation which is accessible from a
browser without using a cgi. It seems to me that this is impossible to
achieve without resorting to postinst stuff.

> Also, I don't see the need for the verbose names.  What's wrong
> with the current <PACKAGENAME> entry in /usr/share/doc-base?

That you don't know how to recognize that they are actually ocamldoc
generated API references. Also remember that a package can ship more
than one doc-base entries, findlib is an example of such a package.
With a naming convention I manage to distinguish the one I'm interested
in.