Re: new web page: overview of OCaml related packages / transitions

On 12-07-2007, Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 12:44:33PM +0000, Sylvain Le Gall wrote:
>> Do you know why mldonkey, coq... are not there ?
>
> ( Please expand the "..." above if you know something else is missing. )
>
> I missed them, but yes, I understand why they are not there. Both
> mldonkey and coq build-depends on ocaml-*, but don't have any
> relationship between the binary package and some ocaml-* package.
> Basically, what the status generation script is telling is that those
> packages do not need any transition, and I think it is right: those
> packages will continue working even if the ocaml version in the archive
> get changes.
>
> Of course it is not granted that they will be able to build properly
> against the new OCaml, so it can be useful to have a way to see in the
> status page packages which build-depends on ocaml-* but does not depend
> on it. What do you think? Proposals about how to show them?

Well, there is a "solution" which is not precise: compare distribution +
build date with distribution + build date of "ocaml" package. If they
have been build after a "ocaml" package release, they are OK...

(i don't think this is a good solution, but take it as a way to start
thinking about it).

>> FYI: there is more packages than you think which have been uploaded to
>> experimental an rebuild for ocaml 3.10.0 by me, but this has showed me a
>> nasty bug in some of my package (ocaml-fileutils, ocaml-benchmark,
>> ocamlgsl...) -- will be corrected tonight
>
> Eh :), you see, the page is useful :-P But I'm getting curious: what the
> heck happened to that packages for not being properly reported?

They have "Depends: "...

I really don't want to comment about a too fast
"sed -i s/ocaml-${F:...}//g" + svn commit in some packages of mine ;-) I
need sometimes to forget this awfull error -- and to find which packages
have been affected.

(a first though about this, remember me a day in january when i decided
to remove useless spaces and ", ," in the control file... but i am not
sure).

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall