Re: ocaml and the new arm ABI (EABI)

On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 23:39:12 +0100, Lennert Buytenhek wrote:

> There exists a rapidly maturing Debian ARM EABI port with about 13000
> packages built at this moment, and one of the packages that doesn't
> build/work is ocaml.  I would fix it up, if only the code generator
> wasn't written in ocaml as well.
>
> Can anyone on this mailing list provide assistance in fixing this up?

Hi Lennert,

honestly I'm not sure it's worthwhile to spend too much time fixing this
up.  ocamlopt (the ocaml native compiler) is already basically
unsupported upstream (there are some bugs in the asm code generation
currently, see for example http://caml.inria.fr/mantis/view.php?id=3952
and related reports), and we probably can live with a bytecode compiler
on arm, as is the case on mipsen, m68k and s390.
You may want to send your request for help on caml-list@inria.fr,
though, which might reach a wider audience of people familiar with
ocaml.

Thanks,
Julien