Re: ocaml 3.09.3 debian plan

Hello,

On 10-10-2006, Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 06:58:29PM +0300, George Danchev wrote:
>> Ok, what keeps ocaml 3.09.3 out of sid and it is not being uploaded
>> yet ?
>
> We (me, Samuel, and Julien) had an IRC discussion on that a while ago.
> The main points were:
>
> 1) there is no such important changes in 3.09.2 -> 3.09.3 to urge an
> upload to ensure 3.09.3 is in etch

I agree.

> 2) we want to work on the dependency infrastructure which will ensure
> that inconsistent assumption due to changes in libraries can be spot by
> regular debian dependencies

I think it is a great idea.

> As an action I passed to Samuel and Julien dh_ocaml that was recently
> integrated in the ocaml package. I know Samuel and Julien did some work
> and they have some pending commits on ocaml-md5sum.
>
> Guys, could you please give us some status report?
>
> If we can't quickly conclude the move I'm starting to be in favor of
> uploading 3.09.3, even if just a few people (like George) can benefit
> from the upload.

Well, i am not in favor of this move before October 18th... Let me
explain : the freeze should be decided at this date (as far as i know).
So to my mind it is more important to fix any pending bugs on
every ocaml packages before trying to migrate all packages to 3.09.3...
If we do the migration, we will have a period of time where we cannot do
bug correction for packages in etch...

On the other hand, i know that the freeze can shift in time, but let's
try not to be part of this shift ;-)

Another, last solution is to do the migration in experimental... It is
also a good solution.

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall