Re: adding X-Vcs-Svn source field to ocaml related packages

On Monday 04 September 2006 18:22, Eric Cooper wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 12:53:41PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> >   recently I started adding to my debian/control the field X-Vcs-Svn,
> > which value is the URL of the subversion repository containing the
> > working version of the package.
> > [...]
> > The rationale is to let the users know where the latest development
> > version of packages are, quite useful for following development, knowing
> > where to look for bugs tagged +pending, ...
>
> I don't see anything wrong with this, but couldn't we achieve the same
> goal by standardizing on a debian/README.svn or equivalent file
> containing the repository info?  You wouldn't be able to see it with
> apt-cache, but I think anyone wanting this level of information would
> be likely to download the source package anyway.

You wouldn't be able to see it with apt-cache (I guess dpkg and dselect will
largery ignore it too), but ara and dctrl-tools will surely catch such
arbirary field names and match against their values.

fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB