Re: adding X-Vcs-Svn source field to ocaml related packages

On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 11:22:09AM -0400, Eric Cooper wrote:
> I don't see anything wrong with this, but couldn't we achieve the same
> goal by standardizing on a debian/README.svn or equivalent file
> containing the repository info?  You wouldn't be able to see it with
> apt-cache, but I think anyone wanting this level of information would
> be likely to download the source package anyway.

Well, no, I don't think so.

A README is usually intended to be human-processable only, hardly you
will be able to automatic process it. An header in debian/control (which
floats until a Sources file) is both human-processable and easily
parseable by programs (the format proposed by Dato encodes the type of
vcs, and an URL you can easily automatically get source from).

Besides, for what you propose we already have a convention:
debian/README.Debian-source (see developers reference).