Re: pkg like shlibs

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 04:41:13AM +1000, skaller wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-08-27 at 19:52 +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 27, 2006 at 07:49:42PM +1000, skaller wrote:
>
> > > I can cope with that temporarily -- just tell people to
> > >
> > > 	cp -R /usr/lib/felix/felix-1.1.2 /usr/local/felix/
> > >
> > > or perhaps copy to ~/felix as they see fit -- if they want to save
> >
> > Bah, just go the full way, and have binaries being version dependent, like gcc
> > does.
>
> But this:
>
> "  2) we decided to keep only a single ocaml non versioned package,
>    in order to avoid issues with NEW and lag due to the
>    ftp-masters overload."
>
> seemed like good advice.

Notice that since that time, NEW handling improved tremendously. Also, ocaml
is a set of tens of packages, while i believe that felix can right now at
least be fully self-contained, no ?

> > > the old version. I won't be installing my own package .. I don't
> > > want any installed version because it will interfere with testing
> > > the development version. Also why I don't install Ocaml via
> >
> > Bah, just install in a separate changeroot.
>
> Yup, I have one, although I can't figure out how to install a .deb
> and its dependencies at the moment. Is there a tool for that?

apt-get ?

Just go into the chroot, and use the apt-get tool normally, you maybe need to
reset your /etc/resolv.conf and apt sources, but apart from that, it is a
fully functioning environment.

Not sure, but you could maybe even try to run a fully fledged X inside it :)