Re: [Caml-list] Release 3.09.1

On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 01:04:40PM -0500, Eric Cooper wrote:
> I agree with the spirit of this, too, but I noticed a big difficulty
> in practice when we went through the 3.09.0 transition.  If you depend
> on lots of other OCaml components, and each one is going through this
> same process of manual inspection, then the total time until you can
> rebuild your package is very long (for example, I needed to wait for
> all the ocamlnet, equeue, pcre, etc. libs to transition).

That's the way Debian work: packages <-> maintainer.

> Perhaps we should auto-build everything into experimental first, so
> developers would have a consistent, new environment to build against.
> Anything that fails to rebuild could cause a high-priority bug email
> to the maintainer.  Then after Zack's suggested one week period, the
> successfully built packages (or manually uploaded ones) could go to
> unstable.

Note that I'm not against automation of the rebuilding process (I indeed
automatically rebuild packages of mine). I'm against the automatic
upload of packages rebuild that way, and binNMU is basically the same.
If someone is willing to automate the process of building packages from
our svn this is fine for me. But they should not be uploaded before the
maintainer look at them (a staging period before the uploaded as
proposed may be ok if someone else can look and test them).