Re: ocaml 3.09.0 and word from the RMs ...

On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 15:45:04 +0200, Sven Luther wrote:

> Well the question is the following :
>
>   1) is the version in sarge ok, and is it even in sarge ?
>
>   2) is the version in etch/testing ok ?
>
>   3) if not, do you think our users can live with temporarily a broken cduce
>   on these architectures ?
>
> Notice that gcc-4.0 4.0.2-3 seems to be broken right now, at least for
> kernels.
>
> I personally feel that we should go for 3), forget about those bugs for now,
> and fix them for the upcoming 3.09.0 packages, which you may start building
> using the ocaml in experimental.

I don't know about the ARM and IA64 problems, but I built ocaml from CVS
HEAD a few days ago on alpha, and ocamlopt.opt was still completely
broken, so I don't think 3.09 will have fixed it. Another problem is
that ocaml 3.08.3-8 on alpha is missing a lot of cmx files, but this
dodn't cause a build failure, so the broken package migrated to testing
before anyone noticed. I guess we either need to find out what the
problem is, or stop building ocamlopt on alpha.
We could probably ask the toolchain or alpha people for help, although I
dont know if any of them is familiar with ocaml :/

Cheers,
Julien