Re: Commits completed

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 11:56:41AM +0200, Remi Vanicat wrote:
> 2005/9/1, Jérôme Marant <jmarant@free.fr>:
> > Quoting Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org>:

> > > Ok, as you prefer. I think you can go ahead and upload ocaml then if no
> > > one complains ...
> >
> > There was one last item: explaining how to make ocaml-mode default
> > when tuareg mode is installed.
> > Ralf, what is the bast way to do this? Playing with the load-path?
>
> One could comment out what is in /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50tuareg-mode.el
> or rename it to 49tuareg-mode.el
> By the way, if I do the last one, will this stay when I upgrade ?

There are two different questions here for the case that both
ocaml-mode and tuareg-mode are installed on a system:

1) how can a user overwrite the default behaviour,
2) how can a system administrator change the default behaviour.

When we discussed the two packages some time ago I was thinking of
the first question. For this, it should be sufficient to explain
in the README of ocaml-mode how a user should change his load-path.

Concerning the second: Maybe put a symlink from 52ocaml-mode to
50ocaml-mode ? This way ocaml-mode would be loaded twice but IMHO
this is a minor inconvenience. It would solve the problem with upgrades
which Remi has pointed out.

In the current version in svn the README of tuareg-mode reads:

  tuareg-mode is now automatically loaded on all files with filename
  extension .ml\w?. If the debian package "ocaml-mode", which provides
  an alternative emacs mode for (O)Caml files, is installed together
  with the tuareg-mode package then tuareg takes precedence.  Users who
  wish to overwrite this behaviour should consult the instuctions given
  in the file /usr/share/doc/ocaml-mode/README.Debian.

-Ralf.