Re: CDuce package

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 09:34:27AM +0100, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Sven Luther a écrit :
>
> >  1) I would like that you isolate exactly which files of ocaml you need
> >  for
> >  cduce, and why. Do you need source files that are modified or something,
> >  or
> >  just the object files ? Ideally, we would add those on a case per case
> >  basis
> >  to a ocaml-support package or whatever, and retire ocaml-source if
> >  possible.
>
> Yep, isolating the files needed for cduce will be the second part of the
> work. First of all, I'm trying to get it working the hacky way, and then
> I'll try to clean it.
>
> As far as I've looked, I think that cduce uses object files only. But I
> may be wrong, and we'd better ask cduce developers about this.

This would be neat. If you could investigate those in the near future, i will
add those files in the ocaml 3.08.3 upload which will happen nextly.

> >  2) Notice that you don't need to ./configure ocaml-source, since
> >  supposedly
> >  the configuration step is already done when they are generated, at least
> >  it
> >  should already be done.
>
> I am not using ocaml-source. David Mentré (in Cc), who is using cduce

Well, you should, and David is wrong.

> for the Democratic Experience project told me that ocaml-source is not
> compilable, which is confirmed by the description of the package :
>
> $ apt-cache show ocaml-source
> [...]
> This package contains the sources needed to build some packages which
> build depend on the ocaml source. Notice that if you want to rebuild
> ocaml, these will not work, consider using the source package instead.

And what do you think it is used for apart from cases like yours ?

> So this package is for packages that needs only the source code of
> Ocaml. For cduce, we also need some object files.

Yes, the main reason it is not buildable is because the configure scripts are
not executable, but as i remember, the sources should already have been
configured, and configured to the *EXACT SAME* configure option as the ocaml
built in the ocaml package. Please try using it, and not the hacky way you are
doing now, which will have no chance of making it into an uploaded package (at
least i will boycott such as best i can), and if you have trouble with
ocaml-source, we can fix that.

> Any idea about the Env.read_signature unbound value ?

Nope, not really.