Re: ocaml 3.08.1 and testing migration.

On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 10:59:35PM +0200, Sylvain LE GALL wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 08:52:44AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have launched my little script and rebuilt almost all package with 3.08.1.
> > It seems that except for coq, none of the other package have any problem with
> > it, not there seem to be any binary incompatibility, since i built those
> > packages with the installed ones (that is, lablgl built with 3.08.0 was used
> > to build lablgtk2 and so on).
> >
> > So, once we have a fix for coq, i will upload 3.08.1 together with the new
> > coq.
> >
> > As for the testing migration, of all the packages listed as directly
> > uninstallable (mostly the libraryes) at :
> >
> >   http://bjorn.haxx.se/debian/testing.pl?package=ocaml;expand=1
> >
> > the following need building still :
> >
> >   cameleon: ia64
>
> Taken from this build :
>
> cd doc && /usr/bin/make
> make[2]: Entering directory `/build/buildd/cameleon-1.3/doc'
> convert main_window.jpg main_window.eps
> make[2]: *** [main_window.eps] Bus error
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/build/buildd/cameleon-1.3/doc'
> make[1]: *** [manual] Error 2
>
> Strange, it seems there is an error which come from the convert
> command... ( i don't think that main_window.eps is problematic in itself
> ).
>
> What should i do ?

Could be a toolchain or hardware error too, can you contact the ia64 people
about this ?

> >   camlcreal: hppa
> >   ocamldbi: arm s390 sparc
> >   editex: arm mips
> >   mlgmp: hppa
> >   lablgtkmathview: arm mips
> >   ocamlodbc: s390
> >
> > Which is a real progress compared to previous days, especially many arm
> > packages have been uploaded yesterday, and mips ones too.
> >
> > Of the not really dependent packages, whcih may still be problematic, those
> > are more difficult to round. I will name only the few i can think of :
> >
> >   coq: needs a 3.08.1 fix and an arm build.
> >   advi: arm ia64 mips s390
> >   spamoracle: ok.
> >   unison: arm s390
> >

> What about mldonkey ?

  mldonkey has release-critical bugs
  mldonkey is not yet built on arm: 2.5.27-1 vs 2.5.27-2

but :

  2.5.27-1 (latest build at Aug 11 13:57: maybe-successful)

And need a new upload anyway. It seems stable for me though. Now, once alioth
is up again, i will do the upload.

Also, Steve Langasek has said to me yesterday (and on the d-o-m irc channel),
that ocaml 3.08 will probably forcibly enter sarge this WE, that means
removing from sarge everything that is not ready. And mldonkey is part of
that i think.

This is so that the tiff, ocaml, nautilus, and some other stuff can enter
testing.

> > BTW, i would like you all to consider the spamoracle package. It builds both a
> > native compiled version on the native arches, and a bytecode one. This means
> > that we are totally free of the slower autobuilder, since it will never get
> > build on mips, mipsel and s390. We have arm still though.
> >

> Maybe i miss something, but i don't understand what does it means ? How
> could it be possible ?

Because it is pure bytecode. I build it on my box and upload it, but it runs
on _every_ arch.

> > If you have other such non-library packages, please list them with their
> > status in a reply to this mail.
> >
> > But all in all, the transition is in a pretty good shape, and i am confident
> > that we are going to make it.
> >

> I have still problem with mldonkey... I don't know if i will have enough
> time to fix it. I am working on my side to correct as many errors as
> possible...

Well, it seems that due to auto-builders catch up, the release will be delayed
anyway. I don't think this is going to be a problem.