Re: Stop uploading NEW packages

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 11:56:06AM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:

> [sorry for breaking the thread]
>
> >On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 10:38:18AM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> >>
> >> Sven,
> >>
> >> Please act as a responsible person and stop uploading new packages
> >> into the archive. Those packages can wait for sarge+1, you know this.
> >
> >Sure, and what is the problem for that ? If they are not ready for sarge, then
> >they are not ready, as long as they stay in unstable, there is no problem, or
> >am i missing something ?
>
> Are you sure having more packages doesn't make more difficult the ocaml
> transition?

Sure, only packages already in testing are considered for the migration, so

> >> Sarge is scheduled for september and adding new packages, just like
> >> pagodacf you uploaded yesterday does not help our release, and adds
> >> potential new bugs.
> >
> >In what way does it pose a problem ? It is just unstable. If these packages
> >are not built in time, or buggy, they will not transition to sarge, no harm
> >done.
>
> My wonderings are about making the transition quicker, and not packages
> not entering testing.

They should have no influence whatsoever. Except maybe they taking autobuilder
time and thus putting more pressure on the autobuilder, but since those are
uploaded with urgency = low, they would come after the real uploads which are
urgency = medium.

> I hope you didn't feel offended. Please accept my apologies if so.
> ocaml 3.08 is still not in testing, and various reasons can prevent it
> to do so.

Yeah, the main reason right now are the autobuilders being overloaded and
needing time to catch up, some toolchain problem on arm, and some bugs in
unrelated but essential package, like tiff4, gcc, or other gnome issues.

On the good new side, ocaml 3.08.1 should be released soon (like this WE
maybe), and will include both the emacs file fix, as well as the two legalese
fixes for court of venue and QPL 6c. The QPL 3 is still under discussion
though, but there is no consensus on debian-legal about it.

All in all, we seem to be in pretty good shape, and the RMs have tentatively
agreed that ocaml 3.08 should go in sarge. I think they don't really have
choice though, given the tiff4 transition issue.