Re: Upgrading libdbi-ocaml-dev in unstable brings in lots and lots of packages ...

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 12:48:23 -0500 John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org>
wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 05:43:12PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 06:20:49PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > Well, the correct way would be to either reduce the dependencies
> > > of libmysql-ocaml[-dev] or even reduce the dependencies of the
> > > mysql stuff itself, or split it in a nox package or something.
> >
> > It sounds to me as if there are two 'correct' approaches (not that
> > I'm an expert on Debian policy or anything ...):
> >
> > (1) Use Suggests instead of Depends.
>
> Not correct, since major components of it are unusable without those
> other packages.
>
> > (2) Split up the libdbi-ocaml-dev package into a main package and a
> > bunch
> >     of packages containing each dbi_*.{cmo,mli} pair.
>
> I have thought of that, but I don't think it's really worth the effort
> at this point.  Theoretically, this should only add a few MBs of data,
> and these are dev packages anyway.  I suggest bugging the MySQL
> people. They shouldn't bring in all of Gnome just for a dev library
> :-)

Just for people not to get confused, according to what Julien posted
earlier to this ml, it seems that the gnome stuff is brought by
libocamlodbc-ocaml-dev not ocaml-mysql (which depends on -nox packages
and does not have other dependencies on X packages).

John, I think you know the one who should be bugged ;)

Regards,

Samuel.