Re: Upgrading libdbi-ocaml-dev in unstable brings in lots and lots of packages ...

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 05:43:12PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 06:20:49PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Well, the correct way would be to either reduce the dependencies of
> > libmysql-ocaml[-dev] or even reduce the dependencies of the mysql stuff
> > itself, or split it in a nox package or something.
>
> It sounds to me as if there are two 'correct' approaches (not that I'm
> an expert on Debian policy or anything ...):
>
> (1) Use Suggests instead of Depends.
>
> (2) Split up the libdbi-ocaml-dev package into a main package and a bunch
>     of packages containing each dbi_*.{cmo,mli} pair.

2) sounds interesting, and maybe they could even provide a virtual dbi-driver
or something such package. That said, what i was meaning, is that there is no
real reason the part of mysql we are depending upon should need X. So the
mysql dbi_* driver should depend on the part of mysql which is both enough to
make it work, but small enough not to pull in the whole of X. If such a
package is not yet existing, then it has to be split or something, but this is
too late for sarge.

The same going for the other driver packages.