Re: Upgrading libdbi-ocaml-dev in unstable brings in lots and lots of packages ...

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 03:18:19PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 04:15:14PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > I suppose that the dependency should be on ocaml-base-nox. Not sure. It is
> > either libdbi-ocaml or libpcre-ocaml which pull it in.
> >
> > A bit of checking shows :
> >
> > Package: libpcre-ocaml
> > Maintainer: Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org>
> > Version: 5.08.1-1
> > Depends: ocaml-base-3.08, libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4), libpcre3 (>= 4.5)
> >
> > So this is pcre which is problematic, i believe. I have the impression that
> > pcre is pure string checking, and thus needs only ocaml-base-nox-3.08, but
> > please someone check it and i will NMU. Stefano is biking all over europe, and
> > will not be back until end of August.
>
> I had a snoop around the build files here:
>
> http://www.oefai.at/~markus/ocaml_sources/pcre-ocaml-5.08.1/
>
> and I can't see how PCRE could depend on anything other than the PCRE
> C library and GNU make (to build) ...

Ok, this probably sounds reasonable then. I will make a new upload later
today.

> > > Why does it want so much of X (this is a server)?  Why is postgres
> > > going to be removed!!
> >
> > No idea about this one. libpcre-ocaml-dev does the right -nox thingy, but it
> > pulls in libpcre-ocaml.  about postgresql, no idea, but apt-cache is your
> > friend.
>
> I've discussed this with John.  My belief is that libdbi-ocaml-dev
> should only suggest the driver packages (eg. libpgsql-ocaml-dev, and
> in particular, libmysql-ocaml-dev).

If you have libdbi-ocaml-dev installed, and no driver or only some of them,
will you still be able to use  libdbi-ocaml-dev to develop software ? to build
mod-caml for example ?