Re: Upgrading libdbi-ocaml-dev in unstable brings in lots and lots of packages ...

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 02:21:28PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> This is on a machine which is pretty much running Debian stable right
> now, but has been "apt-pinned" for testing and unstable.
>
> ... So ...
>
>   furbychan:/etc/bind/zones# apt-get -t unstable install ocaml-nox
>   Reading Package Lists... Done
>   Building Dependency Tree... Done
>   The following extra packages will be installed:
>     libncurses5-dev ocaml-base-nox ocaml-interp
>   The following NEW packages will be installed:
>     libncurses5-dev ocaml-base-nox ocaml-interp ocaml-nox
>   0 packages upgraded, 4 newly installed, 0 to remove and 234  not upgraded.
>   Need to get 8005kB of archives. After unpacking 34.4MB will be used.
>   Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
>
> Seems fair enough.
>
>   furbychan:/etc/bind/zones# apt-get -t unstable install libdbi-ocaml
>   Reading Package Lists... Done
>   Building Dependency Tree... Done
>   The following extra packages will be installed:
>     libpcre-ocaml ocaml-base ocaml-base-nox tcl8.4 tk8.4
>   The following NEW packages will be installed:
>     libdbi-ocaml libpcre-ocaml ocaml-base ocaml-base-nox tcl8.4 tk8.4
>   0 packages upgraded, 6 newly installed, 0 to remove and 234  not upgraded.
>   Need to get 2412kB of archives. After unpacking 6767kB will be used.
>   Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
>
> Hmmm ... a bit strange that it wants tcl and tk installed.  Why would
> libdbi-ocaml depend on ocaml-base?

I suppose that the dependency should be on ocaml-base-nox. Not sure. It is
either libdbi-ocaml or libpcre-ocaml which pull it in.

A bit of checking shows :

Package: libpcre-ocaml
Maintainer: Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org>
Version: 5.08.1-1
Depends: ocaml-base-3.08, libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4), libpcre3 (>= 4.5)

So this is pcre which is problematic, i believe. I have the impression that
pcre is pure string checking, and thus needs only ocaml-base-nox-3.08, but
please someone check it and i will NMU. Stefano is biking all over europe, and
will not be back until end of August.

> But this is the really scary one ...
>
>   furbychan:/etc/bind/zones# apt-get -t unstable install libdbi-ocaml-dev
>   Reading Package Lists... Done
>   Building Dependency Tree... Done
>   The following extra packages will be installed:
>     esound-common fontconfig gcc-3.3-base gdk-imlib1 gnome-bin gnome-libs-data
>     gtkodbcconfig0 imlib-base libart2 libaudio2 libaudiofile0 libdbi-ocaml
>     libesd0 libfontconfig1 libgcc1 libgnome32 libgnomesupport0 libgnomeui32
>     libgnorba27 libgnorbagtk0 libgtk1.2 libgtk1.2-common libice6 liblcms1
>     libltdl3-dev libmng1 libmysql-ocaml libmysql-ocaml-dev libmysqlclient10
>     libmysqlclient10-dev libncurses5-dev libocamlodbc-ocaml-dev libodbcinstq1
>     liborbit0 libpcre-ocaml libpcre-ocaml-dev libpcre3-dev libperl4caml-ocaml
>     libperl4caml-ocaml-dev libpgsql-ocaml libpgsql-ocaml-dev libpng10-0
>     libpostgresql-ocaml libpostgresql-ocaml-dev libqt3c102-mt libsm6
>     libsqlite-ocaml libsqlite-ocaml-dev libsqlite0 libssl-dev libssl0.9.7
>     libstdc++5 libtiff4 libungif4g libx11-6 libxcursor1 libxext6 libxft1 libxft2
>     libxi6 libxmu6 libxmuu1 libxp6 libxpm4 libxrandr2 libxrender1 libxt6
>     libxtrap6 libxtst6 ocaml ocaml-base ocaml-base-nox ocaml-findlib
>     ocaml-interp ocaml-nox odbcinst1 postgresql-dev tcl8.4 tk8.4 unixodbc
>     unixodbc-dev xfree86-common xlibs xlibs-data zlib1g-dev
>   The following packages will be REMOVED:
>     postgresql
>   The following NEW packages will be installed:
>     esound-common fontconfig gcc-3.3-base gdk-imlib1 gnome-bin gnome-libs-data
>     gtkodbcconfig0 imlib-base libart2 libaudio2 libaudiofile0 libdbi-ocaml
>     libdbi-ocaml-dev libesd0 libfontconfig1 libgcc1 libgnome32 libgnomesupport0
>     libgnomeui32 libgnorba27 libgnorbagtk0 libgtk1.2 libgtk1.2-common libice6
>     liblcms1 libltdl3-dev libmng1 libmysql-ocaml libmysql-ocaml-dev
>     libmysqlclient10-dev libncurses5-dev libocamlodbc-ocaml-dev libodbcinstq1
>     liborbit0 libpcre-ocaml libpcre-ocaml-dev libpcre3-dev libperl4caml-ocaml
>     libperl4caml-ocaml-dev libpgsql-ocaml libpgsql-ocaml-dev libpng10-0
>     libpostgresql-ocaml libpostgresql-ocaml-dev libqt3c102-mt libsm6
>     libsqlite-ocaml libsqlite-ocaml-dev libsqlite0 libssl-dev libstdc++5
>     libtiff4 libungif4g libx11-6 libxcursor1 libxext6 libxft1 libxft2 libxi6
>     libxmu6 libxmuu1 libxp6 libxpm4 libxrandr2 libxrender1 libxt6 libxtrap6
>     libxtst6 ocaml ocaml-base ocaml-base-nox ocaml-findlib ocaml-interp
>     ocaml-nox odbcinst1 postgresql-dev tcl8.4 tk8.4 unixodbc unixodbc-dev
>     xlibs-data zlib1g-dev
>   4 packages upgraded, 82 newly installed, 1 to remove and 229  not upgraded.
>   Need to get 32.7MB of archives. After unpacking 97.4MB will be used.
>   Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
>
> Why does it want so much of X (this is a server)?  Why is postgres
> going to be removed!!

No idea about this one. libpcre-ocaml-dev does the right -nox thingy, but it
pulls in libpcre-ocaml.  about postgresql, no idea, but apt-cache is your
friend.