Re: Upgrading libdbi-ocaml-dev in unstable brings in lots and lots of packages ...

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 02:52:04PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 08:49:19AM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> > This could have something to do with it.  Anyway, apt-get can show you
> > the reasons for these actions, but I don't know the specific incantation
> > right off the top of my head.  I believe that mysql is what pulls in all
> > that graphic crap.
>
> Yes, I've been chasing the thread of packages now ...
>
> I think that the driver packages should be "suggests" rather than
> "depends".  The dbi.cma -> dbi.cma + dbi_*.cmo split in 0.9.9 should
> ensure that this will work.  Of course if someone actually tries to
> use 'dbi_postgres.cmo', then they will need to install the driver
> (libpgsql-ocaml-dev) by hand.

Hang on ... that's really strange.

The packages.debian.org page at:

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/libdevel/libdbi-ocaml-dev

shows the package Depends on the drivers.  But the diff at:

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/o/ocamldbi/ocamldbi_0.9.9-1.diff.gz

seems to indicate that the package Suggests the drivers only (which
would be correct).

Strange ...

Rich.

MONOLITH is an advanced framework for writing web applications in C, easier
than using Perl & Java, much faster and smaller, reusable widget-based arch,
database-backed, discussion, chat, calendaring:
http://www.annexia.org/freeware/monolith/