Re: Ocaml 3.08, sarge freeze and release schedule.

On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 12:12:21PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> given the 10 day testing wait, and a few slack days (and the fact that i will
> be offline the august 14-15 WE), i would strongly suggest that we put ourself
> a deadline of the 12th of august to having all the ocaml 3.08 packages ready.

My personal deadline is august 7th (this week only) since I will be on
vacation without any network access from august 8th for 2 weeks circa
(vacation announcement will follow).

My packages are in a good shape. I've ported all of them to ocaml 3.08
and, where needed, to gtkmathview 0.6.3. All build failures (except one)
are due to build daemons waiting for this or that package. The only real
build failure is for gtkmathview on mips, but it seems to be due to a
gcc bug which has been already fixed in the latest upload.

My latest upload (a few minutes ago) were editex and extlib, of course I
still don't know nothing about their rebuilds ...

> On the legal front, Xavier has tentatively agreed to remove the problematic
> clauses of the QPL, and i should get news of him about the emacs files once
> Damien comes back from holyday, supposedly on begin of august. Xavier would
> perfer to solve this with an ocaml 3.08.1 release, which he told me might
> happen before end of august, but this will be too short for our current
> release schedule. Hopefully 3.08.1 will not break binary compatibility, or i
> am going to strangle them :). Anyway, if it does break binary compatibility,
> we will have to backport the interesting stuff on this.

I haven't followed carefully the license stuff, which part of ocaml in
the archive has currently license issues?

If 3.08.1 is going to break binary compatibility I seriously doubt that
we will be able to rebuild all our packages for it before Sarge
deadlines ...

> I am following up this issue with both Xavier, and Steve Lanagasek as both
> release manager (no more assistant i guess, since aj dropped it) and

Just ouf of curiosity: I've read the announcement, do you know if there
exists a mail in which aj declares he is going to drop or even the
relevant flame or something else on this issue?

> I would appreciate a status report from everyone here, especially concerning
> the packages that are not yet ready. Also, If you know of debian packages

See above.