Re: [Coqdev] Re: Commentaires sur bug Coq 708

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 09:11:34 +0200 Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr>
wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 07:13:24PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 06:49:48PM +0200, Samuel Mimram wrote:
> > > Ok so (for non-french speakers), Hugo Herbelin says that COQ 8.0.1
> > > should be out monday.
> > >
> > > He wonders what we're going to do since -- as Claudio already
> > > mentioned it to us -- this new version still won't compile with
> > > OCaml 3.08.
> >
> > Arg, ...
> >
> > > Personally I'd rather have COQ 8 and OCaml 3.07 in Sarge since COQ
> > > 8 is
> >
> > Me not.
> >
> > > a major release (the syntax has completely changed, etc), whereas
> > > the changelog for OCaml is rather "small". What is the opinion of
> > > other debian-ocaml-maintainers on that?
> > >
> > > Hugo also mentions that the port to OCaml 3.08 is almost ready but
> > > still needs testing. So there is still hope to have both COQ 8 and
> > > OCaml 3.08 in sarge.
> >
> > Well, almost ready sounds nice. I understand they mention testing,
> > but we can do the testing together with ocaml 3.08 in the debian
> > framework.
>
> Well, i have been thinking about this last night.

Simply sleeping is also nice sometimes :)

> I think it is more important to get ocaml 3.08 out as soon as
> possible.
>
> For coq, there is no big problem, because either upstream is going to
> fix the build, and as said, i don't really care about they taking some
> time for testing, this is unstable, and we should be able to package
> this in testing stuff, since the older version would be available in
> testing.
>
> Now, if the ocaml 3.08 version of coq is not available before the
> sarge release, then no problem also. We simply upload a ocaml-3.07
> serie of packages, and build coq with it. It is almost parallel
> instalable, the only problem would be to have the binaries called
> coaml-3.07 and such, and i don't know if the coq build system can cope
> with that.
>
> Also, could you tell us what the other coq dependencies are ? Do you
> need lablgtk or some other such packages ?

Here is what COQ needs to build:
Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 4.0.0), ocaml-3.07, ocaml-best-compilers,
liblablgtk2-ocaml-dev
(I think the only other dependency we'd have to build with 3.07 is
lablgl).

The both-ocaml-versions-in-testing solution seems to me to be a nice
fallback. I've had a quick look at the configure. It is hand-written,
quite clean and I think it could easily be adapted to have COQ built
with an ocamlc-3.07 or whatever.

Cheers,

Samuel.