Re: Test-DFS for PowerPC

Hello!

[Mon, 07 Jun 2004] John Goerzen wrote:
> Yes.  I agree!  In fact, that's why I started the project.  I guess it's
> a little confusing to use DFS to refer both to the "standard" DFS ISOs
> and to the build system.
>
> dfsbuild is already very far along that path, with the sets of packages
> (save for the base system) fully configurable, kernels configurable too,
> etc.

[Mon, 07 Jun 2004] John Goerzen wrote:
> I should add that I view dfsbuild as a far more useful tool than the
> custom remastering hack that Knoppix uses.  dfsbuild is scriptable and
> does its entire job without any user intervention, and also doesn't
> require an existing ISO to do so.  All it needs is a Debian mirror :-)

Exactly. And because standard Debian is what we build on, I think we
should be able to also use standard Debian kernels.

If packages are well built and configure automatically, they are
suitable for DFS. If kernels are well built and configure automatically
with the help of discover and/or hotplug, why not let them be suitable
for DFS also. Yes kernels for a Rescue CD are special, no need for
hardware discovery. But for a DFS with Knoppix functions, The Debian
standard Kernels are ideal.

        Robert.

--
Happiness is twin floppies.