Re: Test-DFS for PowerPC

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 05:49:02PM +0200, Robert Jordens wrote:
> > DFS kernels also omit things that are not necessary for
> > installation/repair work.  For instance, sound and video4linux are
> > completely disabled.  The DFS kernels are here to give people a live,
> > working system to use to repair or install Debian and build a custom
> > kernel from there.
>
> I'd really like to be able to build DFS images "en masse" for each and
> every purpose. Just like all those crazy people that praise their "Yet
> another Knoppix remastered" as the new holy grail. It's just that their
> remastering process is so "manual" (and BTW their mental contribution is
> not that much). ;-]
>
> So. I'd really like to see DFS not only becoming a "Yet another Rescue
> CD" but also "the first fully automatized live CD generation system".

Yes.  I agree!  In fact, that's why I started the project.  I guess it's
a little confusing to use DFS to refer both to the "standard" DFS ISOs
and to the build system.

dfsbuild is already very far along that path, with the sets of packages
(save for the base system) fully configurable, kernels configurable too,
etc.

-- John