Re: Test-DFS for PowerPC

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 06:40:12AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Bad, bad, bad. You are doing "boot cd:,\boot\yaboot" from OF, right?
> > (its not \install as on regular debian cds).
>
> Yeah, directly copied from your other mail. I had trouble finding the
> back-/ at first, as it seems to be inexistant on french mac keyboards, ,
> but then i noticed that the OF is in qwerty layout anyway :)
>
> > > BTW, where does the kernel on the iso comes from ?
> >
> > Selfmade since we can't build things like ide/cdrom... as modules
> > because the primary initrd does not contain any modules. The config is
> > on the image, it's debian 2.6.6 sources, config modelled after
> > pmac_defconfig and the stuff from John's i386 config added.
>
> Why not add those modules to the initrd and have it loaded, like the
> mkinitrd generated initrd does ? Indeed it should even be possible to
> use mkinitrd for this purpose, and add an own startup script or
> something such. Not sure how mkinitrd would take to having ocaml
> programs (or scripts) though, but i have the feeling that it should make
> no difference.

What's the point, though?  We bloat the initrd size by putting libc, all
the module loading tools, etc. on it, or we bloat the kernel size by
compiling things into the kernel.

Also, mkinitrd seems to just load modules that are specified in a file
like /etc/modules.  It doesn't do any real autodetection, so I don't see
what it buys us at all.

-- John