Re: Test-DFS for PowerPC

On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 10:58:25AM +0200, Robert Jordens wrote:
> Hello!
>
> [Sat, 05 Jun 2004] david howe wrote:
> > So far I can report that the disk fails to boot the following devices
> > New World G3 Pismo Powerbook
> > New World G3 Imac
> > Old World 9600 ppc
> >
> > The disk appear as a valid HFS standard disk on a MacOS desktop however
> > I can't provide any more info about the boot failures :(
>
> On my Powerbook neither the Debian installer images, nor this image
> boots if I press "c" during install. I have to go through
> "Command-Option-o-f", that is OpenFirmware. Then I have to enter
> "boot cd:,\boot\yaboot" to get to yaboot. I have yet to see an image
> that boots with "c".

Well, on my ibook 800, the beta4 and earlier debian-installer isos
booted with just c.

> [Sat, 05 Jun 2004] Sven Luther wrote:
> > Well, you mean it only refuses to boot when you insert the disk and old
> > the 'c' key ? Does yaboot show up ? I guess not, is the iso HFS blessed
> > or some other magic ?
>
> /boot is hfs-blessed, ofboot.b is "UNIX/tbxi" and yaboot is "UNIX/boot".
> That is sufficient AFAIK.

Ok, cool.

> > Also, i doubt it will work out of the box on old world, Robert, what is
> > the kernel size, and could you include a miboot image of this if it is
> > small enough ? Not sure the kernel or initrd fit on a floppy though.
>
> Could you help me with that? I neither have the hardware nor the
> experience.

Well, you would need to use the powerpc-small kernel, and build an
initrd which include some additional modules and which loads them, and
that this initrd fits on on a floppy (compressed). What size has the
initrd right now ?

> [Sat, 05 Jun 2004] Sven Luther wrote:
> > Downloading, i will make the adaptation for pegasos until monday or
> > tuesday. Not sure much need to be changed, just it should include the
> > kernels with builtin initrd for chrp-rs6k and prep, i guess not much is
> > needed. Well, and a link from the -chrp kernel to the -chrp-rs6k maybe.
>
> > And, please include partimage if it is not already, it is a very usefull
> > tool for backuping/restoring partitions. I plan to make a DVD-RW with
> > DFS and a partimage copy of my main partitions. Maybe even an
> > automated script to do the restore or such.
>
> John already included partimage.

Cool. It could be listed in the tools in the mail though, it is really a
neat program for backup/restores.