Re: Installing more of OCaml

On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 03:43:09PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> That said, i am ok with this idea, and would suggest that we perhaps
> create a ocaml-build package either replacing or mirroring the
> ocaml-source one, which could be used in this way. I don't really aprove
> of the ocaml source thingy, but well, it seems some of this stuff is
> unavoidable.

Sorry, I don't understand: what do you don't really approve exactly?

Regarding the name I would rather prefer a libxxx package since it's
indeed a library, but this is really a minor point.

> One neat solution would be to replace ocaml-source by ocaml-build, and
> have it contain all the stuff needed by third party packages (like
> cameleon, i think), this would probably be worth it.

Yes, but in order to do so we need the exact list of what is needed by
those packages and what is not. Actually I have no idea of what is
needed by cameleon, could someone with knowledege of cameleon please try
to summarize it?

> One last thing to notic though is that i expect the sarge release to
> freeze by mid june, andthe official release to happen somewhen in july.
> This meens that the time period we have for working this out is short,
> and, altough i will have intermittent internet access this week, i
> believe i will be mostly offline the two weeks after that. Could i ask
> the help of my felloz debian/ocaml maintainers fo pulling this through
> in the SVN rep, and even upload a package if need be ? This and the

Yes, as already stated I can look at it, but I prefer to clarify the
issue above before starting doing something.

> ocaml-interp are the two things i would like to happen before sarge
> release, and maybe the fixing iof all the other bugs.

I don't remember discussion about ocaml-interp: what are you talking
about?

> Another point would be to have ocaml be using the list as maintainer,
> since my time allotment for it has been rather less this past time, but
> i would still stay tjhe main maintainer of itm but this would allow
> faster reactivity from us all, what do you think ?

I prefer not to do so before sarge release, we can work on the package
and help you also via NMU / SVN commits.

> > Once the utility of the package you're proposing has been discussed a
> > bit more, I can prepare an unofficial ocaml package and distribute it
> > via experimental distribution or a personal apt repository. Then, if the
> Yes, that would be nice, altough i have a feeling that it would not be
> necessary to do the experimental upload. There will be NEW handling
> also.

I agree, that was only in case of no news from you about this issue.