From: Shawn Wagner <shawnw@speakeasy.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:55:35 -0800
To: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org>
Subject: Re: Your ExtLib library

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 01:11:40PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:

> I'm somewhat new to the OCaml community so I don't know a lot of the
> history here...  However it seems that there is a not insignificant
> installed base of Debian software that uses the other Extlib, making
> renaming it impractical.  Moreover, I (and possibly others) wish to
> write software that uses *both* Extlibs...  you can see the spaghetti
> code forming now, right? :-)

Really? I've never come across anything that uses it. What does?

> It seems that your Extlib used to be named Stew; would it be OK with you
> if we named it that on Debian?  I consider having the software present
> under an assumed name better than not having it present at all.

Well, even if you change the findlib name, there'd still be problems with
modules with the same names. My extlib and the other one both have an Option
module, and that other one has collisions with other libraries such as
Camomile (Which, I see, also has collisions with mine.) Fixing that will
take the ocaml developers adding proper namespaces or the like.

--
Shawn Wagner
shawnw@speakeasy.org

----- End forwarded message -----