Re: lib*-ocaml dependency on ocaml-base

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 04:44:00PM +0100, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> Quoting Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr>:
>
> > On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 01:57:43PM +0100, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Does someone remember why lib*-ocaml needs to depend on
> > > ocaml-base-X.Y? I received a mail from a libsdl-ocaml
> > > user who think that this is not requred.
> >
> > libfoo-ocaml should depend on ocaml-base, since the corresponding files
> > in that package, which are only the dll.so stub libraries and nothing
> > more if i remember well, are totally useless without ocaml-base.
>
> I don't think so.

BTW, back in the days, ocaml-base was necessary for doing the stublibs
registration magic. This is no more so, so it could indeed be dropped.

But still, i don't know what you would gain by doing this, as i see no
case where libsdl-ocaml could be usefull without ocaml-base being
installed, and furthermore, depending on ocaml-base-<version> guarantee
that we have no versioning mismatch.