Re: Extlib confusion

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 08:44:59AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> My question is: why are there two "extlibs" and what is the path
> forward if I want to package the pennmush.org extlib for Debian?

Historical reasons mostly. The extlib packaged in debian, which AFAICT
is the first one, started from a huge thread on the ocaml list related
to shortcoming of the offical ocaml standard library. Thus it started as
a collaborative effort.

The other extlib IIRC is maintained by just one guy who decided by
himself to distribute some of his helpers to the world. I don't know the
quality of the project because I've never looked at the code.

It would be fantastic if we can manage to merge the two efforts and
convince the latter extlib developer to join the other project (not the
other way round just because the former extlib seems to be a larger
project), but I don't know if it's possible or not and if it does make
sense or not.

If you're willing to do so you can start comparing the APIs of the two
extlibs ...