Re: Proposal : tagging and upload in svn

Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> writes:

> On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 10:32:16PM +0100, Jérôme Marant wrote:
>> So, I'd propose that we move those tarballs to a dedicated
>> download location: alioth provides an Anonymous FTP location
>
> As you know, I don't agree with your point here. But still I fail to
> understand why you're so against avaing the tarball in the svn. I'm not

Probably because there isn't anything about history in a tarball: it
is never updated and always replaced by a new one with a different
filename.
Basically it doesn't anything to do in a control version repository.

> yet very active on svn but still I can imagine that people that are used
> to use svn don't like to much to have to use another method (ftp, http)
> to download tarballs.

I think we are the only one to use the SVN repo to store tarballs.

> What do you think about moving tarballs to a svn directory which is
> outside the usual /trunk dir? What about a parallel /tarballs?

As long as you propose to keep them in SVN, it doesn't change
anything for me :-P

--
Jérôme Marant

http://marant.org