Re: Accepted findlib 0.9-1 (powerpc source)

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 09:45:56AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 09:20:02PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Ok. Altough using a different directory name would have been the path of
> > less surprise,
>
> "would have been" sounds a bit suspicious to me, are you proposing to
> use a different directory name or what?

Well, i would have if you had consulted prior to choosing it, METAS or
metadir or something such. Now, altough it is not too late, i doubt it
is all that important to do the change.

> > and avoid problem in copying the META file to the META directory.
> > Imagine the confusion that could arise if the META directory doesn't
> > exist yet ?
>
> No, actually I couldn't imagine, could you please describe a problematic
> example?

Well, the main fear i have is of doing something like :

  cp src/META $(DESTDIR)$(LIBDIR)/META

While the META dir doesn't exist yet. But sure it is not a problem since
the META dir is supposed to exist, and the file would be copied to
META.package anyway. But then broken install scripts can cause some of
such errors.

BTW, another idea would be to add lintian warnings for this kind of
stuff, checking for META files out of the META dir and warn, about
dll.so files out of the stublibs and throw an error, etc.