Re: patch - add an ocaml-interp binary package

Sven Luther said:
>> Anyway I'm wondering if it's better to ship a new ocaml-interp package
>> or move the stuff you mention in your patch from ocaml to ocaml-base
>> ... Moving the stuff shouldn't break anything since packages depending
>> on ocaml-base still have in it all they need as well as package
>> needing ocaml (since it depends on ocaml-base).
> Well, the main turning point is that ocaml as interpreter stays a
> marginal thing, and adding the toplevel and its libs will make
> ocmal-base bigger, maybe too big ?
>
> ocaml-base installed size is 400Ko, while the interpreter stuff is
> above 3Mo.

Do you think this difference is worth creating a new package? Actually I
don't know the answer to this question. Maybe we can compare the size of
the resulting package (3 Mb) with the size on the other interpreters.
Actually I've no debian box at hand (crappy webmailer) but we can compare
with the size of the perl an python packages at least ...
Without doing these comparison I think that pollute the dpkg archive is
more a problem than adding 3 Mb to a package, but is just a personal view.
Cheers

--
Stefano Zacchiroli  --  Master in Computer Science @ Uni. Bologna, Italy
zack@{cs.unibo.it,debian.org,bononia.it}  -  http://www.bononia.it/zack/