Re: our ocaml package and upstream patch 2

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 01:38:13PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> Hi all,
>   our ocaml package actually doesn't ship upstream patch 2
> (http://caml.inria.fr/distrib/ocaml-3.07/ocaml-3.07-patch2.diffs), bug
> just the camlp4 patch. Thus our ocaml package has still a native code
> compiler bugged which can introduce segfaults while using recursive
> modules.

Yep, that is the case, no current debian/ocaml code uses recursive
modules though.

> I've just rebuilt a local ocaml package including the patch 2 and it
> seems to work fine without introducing binaries incompatibilities.

Yep, Xavier confirmed that to me. Also, i doubt any existing code uses
that feature yet, so we are safe from it for the next week or so, since ...

> Why ocaml package doesn't ship patch 2? Is just because we would like to
> wait for its entrance in testing or something else?

... we naturally want to have ocaml 3.07 enter testing first. Also,
there are still some potential issues with this patch2 (like the hppa
issue, Xavier is in the loop, but did not yet look at it). Anyway, there
is no urgency, let's first make the transition happen like it is, and
wait for Xavier to do a new upstream release, the ugly 3.07pl2, which i
will rename to 3.07.2 most assuredly, and when a new upstream tarball is
released, i will upgrade the ocaml package, but i would prefer to wait
for ocaml to enter testing, the mini-freeze having started on october
13, We should have ocaml 3.07 in testing by the end of next week.

> If the formar: do we think that it's wise? Ocaml packages should enter
> all together in testing and lablgl is only 4 days old and still we have
> to solve the bignum issue ... Is it possible to fix and upload the ocaml
> package now?

I prefer not, especially as the patch has not yet (to my knowledge)
reached its definite form.